Wednesday from the Addams Family, studying computer science and singing to Lionel Richie: Q&A with Web Developer, Vanessa Hughes
Vanessa Hughes, one of the hugely-talented web developers in our Auckland office, kindly took some time out of her schedule to have a chat with us for this month’s staff Q&A.
We talked to Vanessa about her life before Castleford, her achievements since starting with us, and why, if given the choice out of anyone in the world, she would like to interview Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.
1. What do you like most about working at Castleford?
My job in general because I love what I do. My job is different every day – we’re always working on different projects and different websites so it never gets boring. The people are also pretty awesome – especially the production team.
2. What were you doing before you joined us?
I was working for a small website company here in Auckland. I really enjoyed it but I find it a lot better working for a bigger company and working alongside people my own age. It’s also nice working in town.
3. What can we usually find on your desk?
Dishes, rubbish, Conor’s dishes, Conor’s rubbish, a cup of Dilmah and my pink fluffy Flamingo pen.
4. What’s your ‘go-to’ karaoke song?
Hello by Lionel Richie. I’m a pretty good singer also. Just ask Conor (fellow web developer).
5. What have you done that you’ve been most proud of since you joined the company?
Set up our own production server to build our test integrations and rebuilds on. In the past Castleford’s development work was done on a server in the US. We have since moved away from that and separated our work completely, which has made the process for customer projects a lot smoother.
6. Interviews can be a great way to generate original content for our clients. If you could interview anyone, who would it be and why?
Mark Zuckerberg. Like me, Mark studied Computer Science at University and him being one of the most successful people in my field (and the world) easily makes him someone I really admire and look up to. It would be a great opportunity to sit down with him and pick his brains.
7. We work with a big range of clients. What’s the most unusual subject you’ve worked on?
Not at Castleford as I haven’t been here that long but at my last job we did a coffin website which was incredibly morbid.
8. When they make a movie telling the Castleford story, who should play you?
Wednesday Addams from the Addams Family.
9. Who do you hope to get in the Euro 2016 sweepstake?
Germany. Only because I looked up online that they’re “world champions” and I would like to win.